Question
Posted by: SLOW | 2004/10/12

LEAVE IT ALONE

Please can i have some advise on how to keep my pet away from his poop - we have to keep an eye out and pick it up as soon as it's done and during the day it's not possible as the pets are alone....HELP

Hi SLOW
This is called coprophagia and is most common in Labradors and German Shepherds. The best advice is: let it be. It won't do your dog any harm and the more you pay attention to the behaviour the more he'll do it. You can try feeding him a tiny bit of paw paw or pineapple, which apparently makes the poop taste horrible - helps to digest the food so there's no tasty protein in the faeces. Keep some peppermints or doggy breath freshners handy (I've seen these in the form of biscuits and chewy toys.), so you can give him one after the deed so his breath doesn't smell.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

2
Posted by: SLOW | 2004/10/14

Thanks for replying - I couldn't help laughing - I too have put chillies and as you say, when I do he actually follows me around. I'll perserve.....

Reply to SLOW
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/14

I have the same problem, and still haven't found a solution.

I've read that feeding them pineapple helps digest the food better so that what comes out tastes more like poop and less like food.

I try to sneak around and put peri peri on the poop in the hope that if they don't know if its burny or not they'll leave it alone.

I think my picking it up quickly and chasing them away when I see them doing it has made the problem worse. I'm beginning to think my behaviour has led them to believe its a valuable resource.

Reply to Acineth