Question
Posted by: C | 2004/01/07

Leave from work for father - how much?

I'm permanently employed in Pretoria and my girlfriend is getting our first baby in Germany in March. I would like to know how much leave from work I am entitled to as father, according to the Employment Act, as there are no clauses about this in my contract.

Thanks!
Charl

As far as I know, 3 days.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/07

MC is correct. However, this doesn't stop you from taking your normal annual leave on top of the 3 to 7 or even 14 days that your company gives (3 is the minimum as stipulated by the BCEA).

Reply to Purple
Posted by: C | 2004/01/07

Thanks!!!

Reply to C
Posted by: MC | 2004/01/07

The employment act stipulates it as special leave and you're entitled to 3 days. The best is to ask your company their view- because some companies grant up to 7 days.
Hope this helps.

Reply to MC