Question
Posted by: Cross roads | 2004/10/20

Leave comfort zone?<br>

Dear Doc.

I am a well educated person who has been in the same job for over five years now (while I was studying). I have now qualified and have opportunities to go out there and prove myself and make a decent life for myself. Only one problem: my fear of leaving this very comfortable place and falling flat on my face out there. I know I want more out of life although my present employer has been more than generous to me. What do I do? Take the new job which pays very well but expects a lot more from me or do I stay where I am and remain happy (I assume) and safe?

Well, of course, a counsellor could help you think this through and plan and motivate yourself more effectively. If you feel you're capable of more ( and surely you are ) why not explore other opportunities --- even explore whether your present employer could find you a more advanced and demanding post ?

5
Posted by: Cross roads | 2004/10/21

Thank you guys for the advice. I will let you know what I decide.

Reply to Cross roads
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/20

Crossroads are always frightening - and one does need to weigh up the pro's and cons as Shaun has said, but 5 years in a company, is quite lengthy these days. Especially if you are still young and need to gain experience.

Also remember that staying in a comfort zones inevitably leads to discomfort. Taking risks and experiencing new things, although stressful, adds to the spice of life. Provided you don't job hop every year or so, working in a different environment adds to your CV, experience, and knowledge. It teaches you how to cope with change and how to build new relationships etc.
Taking on more responsibility and doing different things is what you will be paid to do. It's seldom we land a job paying for doing EXACLTY the same thing we're doing now.
Make the list that Shaun says, but don't the fear of change stand in your way.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Well you can't know that until you try now will you!?

Here's a suggestion; draw a list of pro's & cons. Take size & age of company into it as well. Why don't you trust yourself with the responsibility of having more responsibilities, do you consider yourself not capable? Have you had feedback to this effect.

Remember, you had to fall a few times before you actually started walking.

I will say though, if you very strongly feel that you cannot handle the pressure or responsibility to take more, then maybe you can shelve it until you take yourself on an assertiveness course.

Opportunity to grow & be recognised...
Remain in comfort zone happily just doing the same thing everyday...

You choice CR, so take the effort to make it an educated one. Keep in mind your goals & where you would like to be in another 2 or 5 years time...

Sorry I can't be of much more help but as this is a life & career choice, only you can actually make it.

Good luck CR, I would like to know your eventual decision when you take it...

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Cross roads | 2004/10/20

Knowing that I will be succesful.

Reply to Cross roads
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/20

Hi CR,

I'd like to ask one question; If you really had to decide on your choices right now, what would you ask for that would make you feel secure in your choice?

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun