Question
Posted by: yolanda | 2004/01/15

leash

Hi my pups 9 months and 4 months are very obedient and they always listen to me. Thia is until I try to put a leash on them. They just refuse to walk with me, they pull and tug and just stand like pillars. What can I do to teach them so that we can go for walks?

Hi Yolanda
First you may consider getting the right equipment - a webbing harness or webbing collar are best (not a choker chain) and a long webbing leash (about 2m). The best way to get them used to leashes is to take one pup at a time. Put the collar and leash on while you are holding your pup (preferably at your gate). Carry your puppy out of the gate and put it down on the other side. Then hold the leash loosely and just allow your pup to sit or go wherever it likes for about 5 minutes. If it goes into the road, then pick it up and put it back on the pavement, rather than yanking the leash. Do this with each pup daily for a week or two and you will see they will start to sniff around and want to explore more - go along with this for another week. Once they seem to enjoy the leash then try going where you want to, instead of always following them. Concentrate on relaxing your arms and not looking at them, but at where you are going, allowing them to follow. Stop if they want to sniff or greet another dog or if there's any pulling. Wait a while and continue again with a loose leash.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST