Posted by: Frustrated | 2009/01/22

Learning Disability

Hi CS!
I desp.need some advice regarding my baby brother, he is 12yrs and in grade 4.He def. has a learning disability and i have brought this to the attention of his teacher and principle in grade 2 already.
They said there is nothing wrong with him but someone from the dep.of education will have to evaluate him.
This person never seems to come and when i enquire about this they say that it does take a few years for them to come around as they are very busy...

I would like to get him into thr right school which could cater for his needs but cannot until he gets evaluated through the school he is at.I have even gone to one of these school but they tell me that the school inself has to get a transfer letter and evaluation must be done before he can be accepted.

Im just so frustrated because iv been sent this way and that over the past two years and at the point of giving up already.
I also cannot afford to send him to a private school.
He has failed again is will remain in grade 4.
He cannot read even with our help at home but yet his teacher says he does not have a learning problem, he memorises his reader and then pretends that he is reading but he dsnt know the individual words.

Can you or anyone here pls tell me what i can do or where i can go to get some help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

They may need an official assessment by someone connected with the ept ofEducation before they can arrange for special resouces or classses for him. Annoying, but uinderstandable if they don't want to waste scarce resources, and want to be sure kids get exactly the help they need. But it is totally, wildly, unacceptable if it takes YEARS for their "expert" to see a child in need --- that is uncomnstitutionally neglectful. YOu don't mentuion where you are, and I don't know what resources are available around the country, but if you could --- and they should be able to advise you on this --- get the boy assessed privately by a child psychologicst / educational psychologist within reach, this could reduce the delays --- especially if they can ( as they should ) give you a statement of what tests or assessments their unavailable specialist would do, so your private assessor could produce the information they need.
And I'd consider checking out if a human rights lawyer would consider challenging the dept about not meeting such obvious needs, breashing constitutional guarantees to children as regards education and health

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.