Question
Posted by: Student | 2004/02/03

learning

There are certain Frequencies of music that enables you to concentrate easier when you are studying.

Please can you tell me what they are and also if you have a few examples of them let me have the names so that I can get the CD.

Dear Student,
I'm afraid this is an Urban Legend ; someting widely believed and talked about, but essentially untrue. There are absolutely NO frequencies of sound which in any way influence our ability to concentrate or learn, nor of music ( music, when you think about it, is made up of a wide range of frequencies, anyway ). I gather there have been some attempts to sell quack remedies including CD's of music or sounds claimed to promote learning, but I have yet to see a single scrap of evidence supporting the wild claims made for them.
On the other hand, many of us have found that it can be easier to study if we play some music in the background. What music depends in part on our personal tastes, but some paterns would probably apply. You'd want music that is agreeable to you and not annoying, but not so interesing that you'd get distracted by starting to concentrate on the music rather than whatever you're studying. So instrumental music is best. Unless you're over-tired and tending to fall asleep, you wouldn't want very upbeat, "hot" music, as if you get over-aroused, your concentration and performane may drop. So especially if you're already a bit nervous or agitated about studying, more peaceful and serene music can help. Some people find classical music soothing without being too distracting, whether Gregorian Chant or any of the Romantic period of music.
What you might also have been thinking of are the claims that some types of music, if a pregnant mother listens to them, may help the foetus, so the baby could be more intelligent ; claims that some types of music help to quieten a crying baby ; and even some research showing that cows respond cheerfully with more milk if they listen to some types of music ! There is at least some research supporting these claims, and as I recall, Mozart tended to do pretty well in all three situations !

3
Posted by: Paul | 2004/02/03

Shadow this is the 2nd time you've tried to flog stuff here, please use bidorbuydotcodotza

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Shadow | 2004/02/03

I can offer you an excellent book to help with your concentration problems. It costs less than R20 and definitely works!

Reply to Shadow
Posted by: Another student | 2004/02/03

I'm not sure what the frequency is, but it's Baroque music. Can't think of composers off the top of my head, but anyone in the classical sections of CD shops should be able to help you further.

Reply to Another student