Question
Posted by: K | 2003/01/20

Lean upper body, fat thighs

Dear Expert,

I have a flat stomach and lean arms and always seem to lose more weight just where I don't need it. How can I really target my saddlebags and bum? I know this must be an old question but nothing seems to work - I gym 4-5 times a week and do both strenth and cardio (cycle, step and running).

Thanks!

Expert ImageArchive

Unfortunately fat distribution patterns are largely genetically determined and one can't choose where to lose weight. Losing weight in the hips and thigh region (femoral fat), is even more difficult to lose.

I know this might not sound too encouraging, but I can add that regular exercise can only help in your efforts to get rid of the fat. It seems that you are doing a pretty comprehensive exercise programme. Have you sought dietary advice to make sure you are eating optimally? If not, please write to Dietdoc.

On a positive note, fat carried in the femoral region, is much less of a health risk than fat carried on the stomach, so at least you have this in your favour!