Question
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/11/25

Leaded / Unleaded?

CS

You can just ",,," this one ;-))

I heard that from January there will only be unleaded fuel available.

My new ford-baby is fine but MY porra's one bakkie takes leaded now he's saying that you just put unleaded in it'll be fine.....

I thought that you had to get a something converter in your car ?

Or maybe coz that is the working (delivery) bakkie he doesnt care ?

HUH ?

Am I just dof?

DON'T YOU DARE ANSWER THAT ONE!) HEE HEE

Ooosh, and then you forbid me to answer the most interesting question ! What a knowledgeable bunch we are, not so ? But was someone asking about loosening nuts ? I might know a thing or two about that.

32
Posted by: JM | 2005/11/25

Apparently the whole fuel system in SA will change next year. You'll get different types of unleaded petrol, diesel etc.

The reason is that SA has the dirtiest fuel (even unleaded is still loaded with heavy metals) and this dirty fuel is damaging to the "new" type of cars.

The fuel must change coz the car manufacturers is giving our petrol manufacturers flack.

That means that petrol stations will have to change their tanks etc , which will cost mega. At then end of the day the losers is us, the Consumer as we will feel it in our pockets!

Reply to JM
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

No, i just go with the AA thing as well, sheesh, so much easier

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

No, actually, my first car was a golf. Had lots of natural air-conditioning, so it went to the scrap heap. Then I got the little blue mini. Wonderful car. But very temperamental. Used to stop for no reason and blow water, oil, petrol, whatever it felt like all over. Then I would fix it and off we would go again. Could also be driving and could take the ignition key out while we were on the go! Then, you won't believe this, a VW Microbus automatic. That was the best car I have ever had. Now it is a Vauxhall Agila.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

Anti clock wise ?

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Banana | 2005/11/25

It depends on the make of the car but generally well I know on my car its kinda of on the right hand side it looks a bit like a metal barrel, dont know how else to explain it and usually the fan belt is just below, try looking between the radiator and the the main engine block where all the spark plugs are, you should actually always have a spare fanbelt because if it snaps then the alternator doesn't charge and the battery goes flat, and being a woman this could be dodgy especially at night. coz then the car won't start,

Reply to Banana
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

Forget the skirt, just wear you knickers all the time.

Best I dont get you to loosen my nuts, the jumping bit is scary! But relating to tyres, you pretty much got it right, which way do you jump, a jump to the left, a jump to the right, lets do the... oh dear, its Friday afternoon

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

Fusty what what your first car you sukkeld with ? Mini?

Myne was 'n bloedrooi 1969 bloed rooi Volla !

Eish jy check die petrol en gooi die olie....jissie it was heavy on oil!

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

Don't forget to jack the car up first!! Aiyaya! That's why I prefer the short skirt! There are nuts? Hahahaha. Actually, I am just being silly. I know where everything is and can do it myself. Used to have an ancient mini that would only go when tampered with!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

The altenator being a thing that helps start the car ? But where does it sit ?

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

Fio ..... err we talking about the cars nuts ? You put that x thingy onto the round thingy till you get one that fits then you turn it and if it doesnt want to you jump on it!

Frosty/frusty - Impossible to drive around all the time in a short skirt (will put one in the boot for in case) hee hee

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

CP MOM, you not yet learnt how to loosen nuts?

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Banana | 2005/11/25

CP Mom, its near the alternator, but it also depends on the car, and the only reason I know this stuff is I love cars, so have always been interested.

Also grew up on a farm, which helps :-)

Reply to Banana
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

Hey, CP MOM, I know this is probably going to cause a stir, but it is meant in fun. A short skirt gets the tyre changed super fast and your hands don't even get dirty!!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/11/25

BANANANANA

We CAN sort our cars out..... err.... we phone the AA ?

:-))

No you are so right, I can change a tyre (that's IF I can get the nuts and bolts loose, jumping ususally helps) but a fan belt ? dont even know where it's at.

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Banana | 2005/11/25

Point taken "FIO".

I think women should all know how to do basic stuff on a car from changing a tyre, to putting a fanbelt on if the need arises, can't always rely on a guy to be around to do these things.

Reply to Banana
Posted by: Poppie | 2005/11/25

CP Mom,

Gelukkig kan ek my eie water en olie tjek, my kar lek water so voordat ek ry moet ek elke keur water ingooi, he he he, dit lyk lekker dom as jy by 'n shopping centre is maar nou ja, geld om die lekplek reg te maak is daar nie nou nie.

Reply to Poppie
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

Retarding timing may affect performance, but not the fact that leaded fuel deposits necessary metals on the surface of the combustion chamber in leaded engines. Without this deposit, the chamber becomes pitted. Changing timing will not eliminate pitting.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Banana | 2005/11/25

"Dude" is right, the timing has to be retarded then the new dual fuels can be used by any vehicle.

Reply to Banana
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

About the converter or the dof bit?

No converter, available, its about additives or lack thereof. Converters work on emmissions.

I found that a bottle of Redex or something like that in unleaded fuel makes a difference to performance, and when the price of fuels differed it was more economical to run on unleaded with Redex.

So answer is no, just have to find an unleaded fuel that will not damage the older leaded engines. They all claim to be friendly to leaded engines, but thats crap. They are only friendly coz they use other metals aside from lead. Thats probably what makes Sasol fuel compatible with both engine types.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Helena of Troy | 2005/11/25

Sorry.

Does that mean yes or no to the question ?

Reply to Helena of Troy
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

this is way to complicated to grasp for my wee lil mossie-brain..LOL

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Dude | 2005/11/25

ey FIO,

if uz adjust uz timin on uz leaded car things will work

Reply to Dude
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/11/25

Fio = fanks!

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/25

Leaded engines require the heavy metals inside the chambers to protect the chambers during combustion, and it improves combustion. Extended use of unleaded fuel in a leaded engines results in the degradation of the engine, until one fine day you find yourself pushing your car up hills.

Unleaded engines have been designed not to need the heavy metals. The material the engine is made of is more resistant to the "corrosive" forces of internal cimbustion, so they do not degrade. However, the drawback of unleaded fuels is that the combustion is not as effective as leaded, because no heavy metals to improve combustion efficiency. So you tend to find that unleaded fuel are less efficient than leaded.

Try it, drive with a leaded tank, then an unleaded tank, and you will find your performance and mileage is far better with the leaded fuel.

Now, you can put leaded fuel into an unleaded engine, doe snot damage the engine, but you cannot put unleaded into a leaded, it will eventually damage the engine.

Try Sasol Duel Fuel, its geat stuff, I get best mileage from it.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

Over here you have to do it all yourself, anyway. Even putting petrol in. There are no attendants.

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/11/25

En as ek die bonnet oop het dan kry ek nie daai stokkie wat mens dit mee moet ophou nie!

Nevermind nog jou hande in daai vuil enjin raak.

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/11/25

Ek's bietjie dof you know wif da cars.... :-)) maar ja mens moet seker leer.

Ek ken iemand wat elke keer die kar sluit uitklim en KYK wat hulle doen...maar aai ons is mos maar lekker lui en trust die ou wat check!

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

I can never get the bonnet open..LOL

Is just not my thing

Reply to Delene
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

CP MOM, best advice ever, check it yourself!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: CP MOM | 2005/11/25

Frusty = I also let them do all the checks and before the funeral yesterday I filled her up and this morning when I wanted to use the wipers thre was not water - make's you wonder how lekker they check ?

Delene = ek's net so sleg met name hoor!

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/25

CP MOM, what I know about cars is dangerous. I fill her up and check the water, oil and tyres and that's it! But let him try it his way, he might just have to buy a new car!!!

Reply to Frusty
Posted by: Delene | 2005/11/25

There will still be a petrol to use, i dunno what they call it, you people have probably noticed that i dont really bother much with the names of stuff.
maybe one of the others know?

Reply to Delene