Question
Posted by: Lynndi | 2007/08/16

Lead in body

I have a small piece of lead in my upper arm from a shooting accident. Can this poison my body or do any other harm? It has been there for about 14 years.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

This could cause you to have raised blood lead levels, and I suggest that you have these tested and discuss treatment options - if deemed necessary - with your doctor. It doesn't sound as if your case is serious - studies show that a small piece of ammunition lead that has not fragmented, especially if it has not caused trauma to boney tissue, is unlikely to lead to serious elevation of blood lead levels. Nonetheless, please have it checked out.