Question
Posted by: GBB | 2004/02/17

LAZY TEENAGER?

Hi there all
My teenager is now 22 yrs old. She has been to college and finished studying, got a job for a few months but was then retrenched. She has a temp job that pays very little but she is happy there as it is not sressfull or difficult in the least. This temp job has now been going on for 7 months and she is not trying or looking for another job.
She does not pay board or rent and is happy to go on as she is. Of course, like a normal parents, we nagg and try to encourage her to get going but to no avail. We would like to see her grow and become the adult that she should be and start to take care of herself and build a carreer / life of her own.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH HER?
Please help.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi GBB

You will need to set some boundaries with your young daughter. It is important that she understands that she is not a teenager anymore, but now a young adult which needs to look after herself.

Put down some rules and regulations, and let her pay board and lodging. Don't be to slack in implementing your own rules otherwise she will ignore the importance of independence.

T

3
Posted by: Paul | 2004/02/27

I know how your daughter feels to a certain degree. She is probably tired from doing all her studies, and feels like she want's it easy, can't blame her we all would like it that way!

I feel that you should set rules, but more importantly talk to her and ask her why, if she opens up to tell you why then there is a good chance on working on it.

good luck! :)

Reply to Paul
Posted by: GBB | 2004/02/18

Yes thank you Angie, the teenager bit was just tongue in cheek, yet her carry on is like a teenager still. I am adraid we have done all that you suggested but to no avail.
Thanks again.

Reply to GBB
Posted by: Angie | 2004/02/18

First of all your child is no longer a teenager, she is now a woman.After the age of twenty you are no longer a teenager.
You should try voice your concerns to her and see what she says.Maybe you should start making her pay her way, charge her boarding and make her buy her own essential stuff.Trust me that should give her a wake up call if not then nothing will!!

Good Luck.

Reply to Angie