Posted by: mjk | 2005/07/21

Laytex allegy???

I have noticed that when ever i have sex (using a condom) the skin on my penis becomes dry,itchy and sometimes breaks.1) Is it an allergic reaction? and 2) How can i counter act it?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagePharmacist


Yes, you probably are allergic to latex. (You can ask your doc to do a latex sensitivity test if you want to be 100% sure.) 'Unfortunately' the most effective strategy in the treatment of latex allergy is avoidance.

A protein found in rubber can cause an allergic reaction in certain sensitive people. This protein is high in latex gloves, condoms, etc.

Although there is no treatment for latex allergy, you can reduce your risk of reaction by avoiding direct contact with latex containing products and trying to find latex substitutes. Finding latex-free condoms in SA is dificult, but one option would be to contact durex south afrika. They have an international latex-free condom available, which they may be able to supply you of.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.