Question
Posted by: Dotty | 2004/10/13

Laxatives

Hi Diet Doc
I've been taking natural laxatives (black forest tea / aloe bitters / senekot etc) every day for a long while now. I find that if I do not take them I do not get daily relief and start feeling extremely bloated and uncomfortable, as well as experiencing terrible stomach cramps in my colon area - yet still no relief without the laxatives. I do realise that taking these laxatives isn't very good - what should I do to overcome this. I've also being trying to loose weight and I've got 5kg more to go - my diet is very low fat, low carbs and rich in fibre. If I do not take these laxatives, will I put on weight? How often can one take these natural laxatives? Is it okay to take these daily, if not what can be taken to ensure daily regularity as well as loose weight. Is there a web site that talks about colon issues etc. Anxioulsy awaiting your response
Regards Dot

Dear Dot
It is really not a good idea to take these laxatives all the time because even though they are sold as 'natural' laxatives, they can have most negative effects on the body. The worst effect is that they prevent natural bowel movements and eventually your body loses its ability to react normally. If you must take a laxative then rather use something like Fybogel (buy at chemist) which is based on the same principle as dietary fibre which swells up and promotes normal bowel movements. You may have to be patient and give the Fybogel a chance to start working for a few days (don't immediately revert to the other laxatives if you have a day or two without bowel movements). The use of probiotics ('good bugs') can also help to regularise bowel motions. Try using Bifidoforte or Bifidoflora (buy at health shop). If you stop taking laxatives you won't gain weight. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy GI tract' section for a variety of articles on colon health.