Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/11/14

Lawyers!!!

Hi.

I am not sure if you can actually give me advice on this topic, but I really need to let off steam.

I am facing a sexual harrasment / indecent assault case against my boss.

I did not want to lay any charges initially, I was going to pretend nothing happened, but the situation was taken out of my hands and before I knew what was happening, the lawyers were at each other.

I have been for a polygraph test and passed. The lawyers advised this would count in my favour.

I hate lawyers - they are the most cold, callous, dont give a sh*t people i know. Its been 2 month since the incident occured and they expect me to "carry on working" as normal, when the co i work for is doing everything in their power to protect my boss. its quite evident who's side they're on.

When i try and communicate with the lawyers, they give me vague answers. O and tell me to be patient! Its been nearly 2 months!

Thanks for listening.

best of luck with the case --- hope it all turns out well for you in the end

12
Posted by: Addamz | 2006/11/14

No, don't. Someone out there loves you. Find solace in someone/something dear to you.

Reply to Addamz
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/11/14

Thanks Addamz. I dont feel strong today though. Have this overwhelming feeling to just end it all.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Addamz | 2006/11/14

Desperate - hang in there. It may seem that the whole world is against you at the moment, but things will work out. The wheel turns, you see. What goes around will come around. It'll make you a stronger person. Just be patient.

Reply to Addamz
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/11/14

I am so sorry you went through that Buffs. I admire you for having the guts to do what you are. Good on you !!!!

wish i had a lawyer like you !

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/11/14

i have been in that situation, and thats why i chose to study law.

I stood in a court room full of people and had 3 lawyers telling me i was a liar and that thier clients actually had not raped me and that i was too emotional to positivly identify them as the right people. meanwhile those men are sitting there smiling smugly knowing what they did to me.

So yes i do understand how you feel and hopefully one day i can help someone in your situation and in my situation and not just be another "amubulance chaser"

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/11/14

Thats exactly what they are doing. I am not allowed to have contact or tlk to anyone, so how am i supposed to perform my duties?

I realise it is a generalised statement, Buffs, but there are 2 lawyers handling my case, one is well known for sexual harrasment cases and the other is supposedly a labour law expert. I apologise if my feelings re lawyers offends you, but I dont think you can understand the frustration and isolation unless you've been in the situation.

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/11/14

ughhhhhh. you guys are terrible stop generalising!! Im going to be a lawyer and im one of the nicest people i know!!

NOT all lawyers are in it for the money, some of them actually care

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: desperate | 2006/11/14

Reply to desperate
Posted by: Addamz | 2006/11/14

Lawyers, sorry to say, are in it for their own gain. And this specific one sounds like an ambulance-chaser to me. And if you boss is a shareholder of the company then I'm afraid you are going to be margianalised by your work colleagues too. Try and find someone that is on your side in all this. Try and find someone (not the lawyer) else to talk to, like a close friend, soul mate or family member. Unfortunaltely you are going to be alone in this and in a catch-22 situation. I suggest start looking for something else as your situation at work will become more unbearable, whichever way this case turns out. All you can do is be the better person in all this, don't be the victim. Best thing to do is focus on your task at hand and don't let external factors influence you. Lawyers are evil yes, and they might be monitoring your calls, emails and sms' to see if you are in contact with anyone or anything that could give them ANY ammo whatsoever. I've been through this so I have an idea.

Reply to Addamz
Posted by: Desperate | 2006/11/14

Reply to Desperate
Posted by: ... | 2006/11/14

I know that cases like this can drag on for a very long time which, can become very costly, i also believe from people that polygraph tests can not be used in court cases. Of course the company will do anything in there power to protect the boss, afterall he is the boss. I do think you should involve the CCMA, and maybe look at a laywer that is dealing with sexual harrasment cases, any laywer can deal with cases but the secret is you should do homework and see what their sucess rate is in certain cases. It will be a very hard stressful road, and i know you would like to pack up and leave the company, but i do think you should stick around no matter how the people will treat you, at this point in time you will look like the bad one. Good Luck

Reply to ...
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/11/14

thats a very generalised statement. Not all lawyers are like this, if you are unhappy with your lawyer get a new one. The lawyer works for you you have a choice.

Reply to Buffs