Posted by: Bon bon | 2008/09/05

Laughing Delima

I need tips on how to get the giggles againd ive been through alot and having to grow up to soon has made my bubbly side dissapear. i rarely laugh anymore and i want to know how i can start acting like a 17 year old instead of having to obtain high expectations of my family. i want to be a kid again!!!!!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

Finding ways to laugh and feel 17 again are about reclaiming yourself. Although you may feel that others have high expectations of you these will only become intrusive if you believe that you have to meet the expectations of others. Some of these expectations may help you grow and develop, but unless they become something you own and identify with then they will feel as if they are designed to make you unhappy. Think about which of them fit with who you feel you are and can help motivate you.

Try and see each day as a possibility for spending time with yourself and when you look at yourself in the mirror and smile - really smile, because if you cant smile at yourself then who is going to be there and take care of yourself if you wont?

Take care of you and you will laugh again - go for it!

Posted by: IZ | 2008/09/14

Fair enough that you grew up too fast mentally, trust me I grew up way too fast for my own age when I was 13, the world throws everyone a set of responsibility when it thinks you need to prepare for the future. My level of maturity compared to my age hasnt changed in the last 9 years either each year that passes by i grow a year older and i grow many years wiser, not trying to blow my own horn but circumstances in life forces some people to grow up instantly its a way to prepare us for the unknown. What you need to do is detach once in a while. if your still too young to go to clubs then have braais at your own place instead with people who know how to enjoy being young. Let go of those feelings of needing to be older than what you are even if it is for 2 hours it will help you cope with the fact that mentally your years ahead of your physical age. Hobbies unfortunatly dont always work but they do help and depending on your interests it will depend on how your hobby affects your inner child like behavior. I myself got into competitive online pc gaming ended up with a group of friends a a good few years younger than myself they helped me release that burden of feeling too old for my age because I could actually just shut down and be a kid among kids. Once you had the fun you go back to being older mentally till the next time you want to let lose. Watch really corny movies even trust me even though you feel like your too old for your age you still have the ability to act younger and have fun. Dont stress just let go and your giggles will come rolling back :)

Reply to IZ
Posted by: Kman | 2008/09/08

Hi There,

Are you not laughing because you are depressed? If you are depressed I would strongly suggest you visit your GP and see if maybe you can get a prescription for anti-depressants.

If you would rather not do that, why not find a hobby to socialize and make new friends or even start working at your local SPCA over the weekends. You will not belive how much joy those animals will bring you, I guarantee that they will make you happy. Once you are happy the laughs will come, of course there will be bad times but keep your chin up, think positive and your life will be a happy one!

Best of Luck!

Reply to Kman