Question
Posted by: Pikkie | 2003/03/12

LATE PERIOD

Dear Doc,
I have endo stage 4, and I have had many operations. Last year they cleaned the endo out again with a lapscope and put intergel in. I went for a check up about 3 weeks ago, and there are no scar tissue or visible endo. I was supposed to Ovulate on the 24th, but when I saw the gynae on the 26th he said I was only ovulating then. My period was late by 3 days, and I am always on a 28 day cycle. We are desperate for a baby and have been trying for 15 months. What is happening to my body? Why was my period late, and will it affect my fertility?

Most women do not ovulate at exactly the same time every month. If everyone kept a record of all their periods over 20 years, you would find that a late ovulation or a late period probably happens in about 80% of women every few years. You are more aware of it because you are planning a pregnancy. Eggs last for three days and sperm for 24-48 hours on average, so a few days either way in terms of ovulation will not make a difference to your chances of falling pregnant.