Question
Posted by: Me | 2008/06/02

late night exercise

I have gained over 20k's since the birth of my baby a year and a half ago. I dont have time to go to gym because my commitments just doesnt allow it, we have a home gym and some weights and a gym ball, but I can only exercise after 20:30 when my boy is asleep. Is this too late to exercise?? I cannot bear getting up early to exercise, so my only option is after 20:00. Will this still show results or will it be useless

It's not necessarily too late, a lot of people do it and they don't struggle. I've always found that if I train late at night, it's difficult to sleep, which is a common problem, caused by all the hormonal responses to exercise that are not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep. A lot of people, however, find that within an hour of finishing exercise, they're dead to the world and fast asleep, and so they don't have this problem! It's only you who can figure out which group you fall into, but to answer your question, it's certainly not too late.

What I would suggest, by way of practicality, is that you begin with very gradual and easy exercise - some light weights, some very slow jogging etc., nothing over strenuous because that will affect how you recover and sleep. And the surest way to put yourself off training is if you are still awake at midnight having trained that evening. So just take it very easy, test the waters, and hopefully you will be able to get the training in and still feel relaxed after.

1
Posted by: novice | 2008/06/02

Hi ,i ,once upon time also exercised late at night,for one it only interrupted with my sleeping pattern,because after a workout i`d hit the shower and then could`nt relax enough to fall asleep,so i ended up tossing and turning till about early hours of morning.As far as results are concerned it didn`t affect my goals so it should not be a waste.

Reply to novice