Question
Posted by: Anna | 2002/12/03

Last 7kgs?

Hi there,
I am 1.54m tall and weigh 60kgs. I train (if and when time allows) 6 times a week, alternating between running, and running/weight training. On the weight training I alternate upper and lower body. I am having a great deal of difficulty in toning my lower body (saddle bags) and seem to have been stuck on 60kgs for the past year. I run between 3-6kms on a run day and 3km on a wight training day. Average speed is around 5.50m/km. I feel heavy when I run...
I am totally confused about why I cannot seem to loose more weight and/or tone more. I eat reasonable portions. Drink pleanty of water eat three meals a day, sometimes I will snack at 10/3 if I feel the hunger. My only downfall is perhaps a can of diet coke a day. Ideally I would like to weigh between 53-55kgs.
Anna

Dear Anna
Your present BMI = 25,3 which is the upper level of normal, so if may help to try and lose 3-5 kg to make you feel 'lighter' and put you firmly in the normal range between 18 and 25. Try eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet, which will also supply sufficient carbohydrate to supply your body with energy for all that exercise, and thus to prevent loss of lean, muscle tissue. Click on 'Diet & Food' and then on 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet'. Compare your present intake with the diet suggestions and make the necessary adjustments. That can of diet cold drink is not going to make you gain weight.

1
Posted by: Paloeka | 2002/12/04

Maybe it is time to make some changes. Your body is smarter than you and adapts VERY easily to whatever stresses you subject it to...
Here is what I did, and it really helped me. (Are you on the body for life program?)

First, don't do the same cardio every time. I alternate between the stepper and treadmill. Are you doing High Intensity Interval Training? (HIIT) If not, you should **DEFINITLY** try it! (Message me back if I need to explain.)

Secondly, don't do the same weight exercises every week. Change them about every 2 weeks. How are you doing these? (12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 reps?) Make sure you exhaust every muscle you train! BUT PLEASE, take care of your form! Try new things, like deadlifts!

Next, maybe you can add longer, slow cardio sessions after you upper body workouts (or later the same day)? Don't do anything else on Lower Body days. I started doing this and are seeing big changes! Don't do crazy cardio on these "extra" sessions, just till you are breathing deeply, say for about 45-60 minutes.
I run 4.25km in 20 minutes on my HIIT days, and 10km in 60 minutes on "extra cardio" sessions.

Also, eat 5/6 smaller meals a day. It is VERY important that you eat enough! I'm 20 cm taller than you, weigh 72kg with 23% bodyfat (female) - I eat around 1800-2000 calories. I would think 1400-1600 will be more or less in your ball park. DON'T starve yourself - EVER!
What are you eating?

Check out www.hussman.org for GREAT advice!

Hmm, I hope this helps.
Yvette
ysnyman@yahoo.com

Reply to Paloeka