Question
Posted by: | 2018/05/17

laser versus microneedling

Good day. I have a lot of spots after my second pregnancy and the dermatologist told me to start laser as soon as possible before they get darker, but there are different kinds of laser machines and also micro needling which also looks promising? What is the best option? Also have a muffin top and would like to go for ultrasonic liposuction? Will these options have after effects? Regards

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2018/05/21

Thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as ideally one would like to examine the face and the pigmentation before deciding on the best treatment options. Considering you saw your dermatologist we can safely presume that the spots are pigmented lesions, but we can’t be sure if the cause is UV damage or hormonally induced also known as melasma.

When choosing a laser for pigmentation your best approach would be to consider a fractional skin resurfacing laser. There are numerous brands and lasers that offer this form of treatment (the most common is CO2, Q-switched Nd:YAG, Q-switched alexandrite, pulsed dye laser, etc.), but results will be dependent on the setting used and on the operator. The concern with laser is that melasma may not improve as this is a difficult form of hyperpigmentation to correct and some patients will not respond at all. Furthermore, possible side effects do include a worsening of the pigmentation or a prolonged inflammatory effect.

Dermapen MD has also shown good results with hyperpigmentation especially when a topical retinol is applied at the time of the treatment followed by other topical depigmenting ingredients once the healing has completed such as regular daily sunscreen, Vitamin C (in the mornings), Vitamin A or retinol (in the evenings), arbutin, kojic acid, etc.

There are numerous non-surgical approaches to reduce small pockets of fat including freezing and ultrasound. Both techniques work well but similarly to the laser, results are dependent on the machine used, the settings and the operator.

I hope the above has helped

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic