Question
Posted by: Dzialo | 2006/07/24

Large Birthmark Removal

Since birth, i've had a large and dark birthmark on my arm. I recently went on an exchange program to china, and was so bothered by all the attention it recieved, that I am considering removing it. It is 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. It has the color of a fairly dark brown. What treatments are available for this. Thanks

Expert ImageArchive

If the lesion is elevated the most likely diagnosis is that of a congenital melanocytic nevus=a mole. The diagnsois can be confirmed by taking out a tiny piece for analysis by the pathologist. If the diagnosis is correct, one must consider that the lifetime risk of developing mole cancer in the lesion is probably less than 1%. Management is somewhat controversial, but surgical removal by a plastic surgeon is likely the treatment of choice. Note well that I am going from the viewpoint that the lesion is a mole.