Question
Posted by: First time mum | 2007/06/13

Large baby on scan???

I am 35 and definately only 3 weeks preg. HOwever, my doc did the scan yesterday and measured the "baby" and told me I am 5 weeks...its impossible as my hubby was overseas and I am definately only with him! Do you think it could mean twins??? Or that I am just going to have a massive baby?? :) Any advise appreciated - their are twins in my family

Dear first time mum
No don't break your head about this - he may be counting from your last menstruation while you are counting from the day of possible conception - so early it is very difficult to determine the age of the baby - it is just an estimate. He would have seen if it was twins.

2
Posted by: First time mom | 2007/06/13

Thanks "from a mom" - this makes a lot of sense!

Reply to First time mom
Posted by: From a mom | 2007/06/13

Gestational age, or the age of the baby, is calculated from the first day of the mother's last menstrual period. Since the exact date of conception is almost never known, the first day of the last menstrual period is used to measure how old the baby is.
In a Typical Pregnancy: For a woman with a regular period, conception typically occurs about 11-21 days after the first day of the last period. Most women do not know the exact date of conception, and their conception date is merely an estimate based on the first day of their last period.
Estimated Due Date: Based on the last menstrual period, the estimated due date is 40 weeks from the first day of the period. This is just an estimate since only about 5% of babies are born on their estimated due date.
Hope this helps and congrats!

Reply to From a mom