Question
Posted by: pookie | 2005/12/12

Lapse in reality

I have a realy worry in that my husband (55 yrs) will be driving along and will suddenly go almost into a siezure - he is not aware he is doing it and his face sort of pulls into a grimace and he revs the car, sometimes going almost off the road. I shout and hold onto the steering wheel, but I'm not sure if he can hear me or not. This has happened 3 or 4 times and it is very frightening for me.
The problem is that he doesn't know it has happened, so when I tell him he thinks I am making it up, hence doesnt' think there's a problem. How do I get him to go and see someone? Sometimes he mutters while this is happening and shakes his hand.
Please help - what could it be?
He is otherwise very healthy.

Dear Pookie,
It sounds like he is getting some kind of epileptic fit, the not remembering part fits in with it. Just ask him to go for a general check up and discuss this with the doctor beforehand or in the consultation in front of him. Tell him that you are worried that he'll be in an accident or cause a fatal accident.

2
Posted by: Pookie | 2005/12/12

It's happened a couple of times during the night, he will sit up and take four or five cigarettes in his hand, and start waving them around, lasts briefly, then he goes back to sleep, once while we were out at a flea market - almost lost his balance - its almost as if he is drunk. Anyone seeing it, would think he was drunk.
It's really quite scary.

Reply to Pookie

Does this only happen when he is driving Pookie??