Question
Posted by: Pokkel | 2004/10/05

Laporoscopy and AI - Ladies who had this done

Hi All
Are there any ladies out there who don't have endo and dont have pcos who had the laporoscopy done. The one where they insert a camera in through your navel and then flush your tubes to check if there are any blockage......

I have never had any signs of endo or pcos, and i'm am sure that i don't have the above conditions, but one never knows, maybe I do have an early stage of endo without me knowing it......
Anyway..
We have reached the stage now where we need to decide what the next step will be.

Gynae said we can choose either to go for the laparoscopy just to check if everything is fine, and then we can attempt Artificial insemination. Or we can skip the laparoscopy and go straight to AI.

Anyone who can tell me more about the laporoscopy?
If they just flush your tubes and everything is fine - will you be able to continue life as normal the next day or would you be sore for a few days..
Will AI be covered by the medical aid?
How does the whole AI process work? Gynae is advising this since hubby have little bit of mature and lots of immature sperm. Apparently the AI process will take the mature sperm and insert that into me... Does this sound correct?

Thx ladies

Laparoscopy usually means a few days of work. Some medical aids cover, most dont.
The process of insemination described sounds fairly correct.

4
Posted by: Angie | 2004/10/06

Hi Pokkel.

I never had any signs of endo or pcos either and went for 2 iui's, but after that my doc suggested a hysteroscope which is similar to an iui but they inser dye into the tubes (via the cervix) in the xray department of the hospital. They can see via the xray if the dye is going through and whether they are open. It is quite and uncofortable procedure but it eliminated quite a lot of stress and I was always stressing about whether my tubes were open. It is a cheaper option if your medical aid wont pay for it AI is definitely not covered by medical aid and it costs aroun R1000. It is a good option - it enhances the sperm (by being washed). It is uncomfortable not sore and I am EXTREMELY squirmish. I am also going to do it again in December. Good Luck

Reply to Angie
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/06

Pokkel,

Our doc did AI twice and then we decided to have a look with Laparoscopy which we payed ourselves. It turned out I did have endo ( a chocolate cycst on my ovary which had to be removed by a laparotomy). After the diagnosis, I went back to the medical aid and applied for them to pay a part of the laparoscopy costs. I only found out after the endo diagnosis that I did present with some mild endo symptoms, but not enough to make a diagnosis on. The medical aid finally did pay about 25% of the costs back (not much but still worth the effort).

Give AI a try first, since the doc did diagnose a problem with your husband. If it does not work, go on to laparoscopy. The meds (progesterone) they prescribe after the AI can be claimed from the medical aid as these meds are not specifically for infertility treatment. However, the ovulation injection is specific and you would have to pay yourself. We kept all the medical expenses not covered by medical aid and submitted it in our tax form. Still waiting to hear if it will be deducted from personal tax.

Good luck!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: blaze | 2004/10/06

I also did not have the lap done, but had AI. As Tracey has said I went through the same procedure, the difference was that they did the AI twice per a cycle, meaning that once thay had give the injection, I went two consecutive days (per a cycle) to have the AI procedure done. Although it was explained to me that it would be painless, in my case it was discovered that my cervix and uterus was not in line, and therefore it was pretty incomfortable because they used a much bigger catheter and then had to use forceps as well. The second day was the worst because of the bruising from the first day, and I did spot a little. When I say uncomfortable it was like bad period pain for about an hour and then it was over (remember if you are uncomfortable to only use panado and nothing else). After they did the AI I was given progestoren tablets to take until either the pregancny test came back positive, or my period had started.
I was lucky in that I fell pregnant on the second attempt, so it did not turn into a prolonged effort

Good luck and I hope everything goes well.

Reply to blaze
Posted by: Tracey | 2004/10/05

The lap does not flush your tubes, it checks to see if your tubes are open or if you have endo, etc.

My doc decided not to do a lap on me as I have no symptoms of endo or PCOS (my hubby is also the problem). He said to try AI first (2 times) and if not successful, then we'll no a lap to check for any problems.

My friend had bad endo and had a lap. She said she was sore for a few days, but they also had to lazer the endo away, so the pain might have been more from that.

AI only has a 15-20% chance of success (the same as a normal couple having intercourse during ovulation). They will wash your hubby's sperm and remove the semen, so only sperm remains. You will have intravaginal scans from day 12 - 14 to check for ovulation. When your egg is mature, you have an hCG injection to release the egg. Then 24 hours later, you go back for insemination. Then they use a cathetar and put it in your uterus - search the web on IUI (inter uterine insemination), which is what AI is. It only takes a few minutes and is not painful. I'll be having it for the first time next week and will let you know how it goes.

Med Aid won't pay for AI and its fertility treament. If you tell your medical aid you're having fertility treatment, they won't even pay for your lap. They will ask you on the phone when you get authorisation if its for fertility and threaten to sue you if they find out it is. They can be horrible!

good luck Pokkel

Reply to Tracey