Question
Posted by: Alex | 2005/07/28

LAPAROSCOPY RECOVERY

Can anyone please tell me how long recovery takes after a laparoscopy. My friends said it is not sore and quick recovery. It has been 1 week and I am still uncomfortable and sore especially when urinating and wondering if this is normal? Will I still have my normal cycle as I am due to start my periods in 10 days or will the op delay this? If I try to have sex now will it hurt as I am scared to try but feel I should get back on the horse (so to speak) asap!

Some discomfort is normal.The pain with urination could be a bladder infection though. Your period may be delayed. I would suggest you wait longer before having sex. It might be quite uncomfortable.

6
Posted by: Joggie | 2005/07/29

It depends on what was done,

I had an ep and endo removed and I could not bend to fasten my shoeaces or turn around in bed for 3 weeks. The dr also gave me a sick note for 2 weeks.

Reply to Joggie
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/07/28

I had mine in Feb and was at work the next day (very stupid - I very in quite a bit of discomfort). The only pain I had was the gas getting caught under my ribs but it was gone completely by 4 days. My period arrived spot on time and I even took out my own stitches.
My friend also had it done and she ended up in hospital for a month with complications so it really depends on the person.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Tigger | 2005/07/28

HI Alex
I had the same op last year with a D&C, cysts removed etc, i was off work for a week and even after that i still did not feel 100%. just take it easy and as for sex give yourself another 2 weeks just to be safe. i have never had a regular cycle since off the pill and the op was the same.
good luck - just hang in.
Take care

Reply to Tigger
Posted by: D | 2005/07/28

I know the feelingt o rush things and you want them to happen quickly but this does take time. The op can also affect your noremal cycle as you usally get your period between 4 and 6 six weeks after the op. Once this has happened your bosy should be ovulating normally and return to a normal cycle.

I wa sore for a few days but the recovery time was very quick. every one is different but it will be worth it in the end. hang in there a little longer

Reply to D
Posted by: breez | 2005/07/28

Did you see Our replies to your previous posting? It is way too soon for sex - you'll only hurt yourself. You'll still be a bit uncomfortable for a few more days. If not you need to see gynae. Did you not go to get stiches out. You could have asked doc or nurse about your worries. My bladder was uncomfortable for a while - 7 weeks later occasionally get a saw bladder. Drink Cranberry juice it helps with the bladder discomfort.

Reply to breez
Posted by: Shari | 2005/07/28

Hi Alex

I had a Laparoscopy last year and the healing time was actually quite quick. WIthin about two days I was up and about and within a week it was as if I'd never had surgergy to being with. I had a Hysterscopy (spelling??) at the same time so I bled heavily for about a week afterwards which changed my cycle a bit as I only got my period again 28 days after the surgery.

With regards to how soon after you should have sex, I would suggest checking with your Dr on that one.

All The Best.
Shari

Reply to Shari