Question
Posted by: Nic | 2005/07/22

Laparoscopy, Fibroids

Good day,

I've just been to the the Gynae and he suspects my tubes are blocked or Fibroids and I might need Laparoscopy OR Hysterosalpingogram. But he can not be able to check that my tubes are indeed blocked or I have Fibroids. My Problem is that I don't know which specialist can check if my tubes are blocked and I also don't know which specialist can perform Laparoscopy.

Ladies please help me 'cause I don't want to waste time consulting the wrong specialists cause that will also be waisting my money as well.

Thanks,
Nic

Gynaecologists perform laparoscopies and radiologists do hysterosalpingograms.

8
Posted by: breez | 2005/07/22

A lap is really not that bad. it takes a day or 2 of feeling uncomfortable and then its smooth sailing.

Reply to breez
Posted by: Nic | 2005/07/22

Topaz, I'll consider going to Dr Kruger as well and lucky I've already got her number from Femina clinic's website.

Thanks a million to all ladies, although the thought of Lap scares the hell out of me.

Reply to Nic
Posted by: Topaz | 2005/07/22

Hi there,

I just had a lap don two weeks ago. Unfortunately mine was to remove an ectopic pregnancy. Your gynae usually will make the dignosis and she/he will perform the surgery. I am, seeing Dr H Kruger at Femina Clinic in PTA. She is quite helpful and will explain everything to you. The lap is best cos as the ladies mentioned if there is some blockage or endo they will be able to remove it.

Hope it helps!

Reply to Topaz
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/07/22

Hi Nic

Afraid I don't know of anyone in Pretoria. Maybe post a question just about a gynae in Pretoria and the ladies will be more than happy to give you some recommendations.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Nic | 2005/07/22

Where would I be without all of you? Ladies thank you very much for all your resposes, means so much to me. I'll consider going to a different Gynae.

Breez, Pokkel and Sparks thank you very much again!!!

Sparks, I'm in Pretoria.

Regards,
Nic

Reply to Nic
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/07/22

Hi Nic

I have had both a lap and the hysteo thingy with the dye(can't remember how to prononce it). The dye test will only show if there are blockages in the tubes and I found it extremely uncomfortable. It is also not a conculsive test as the injection of the dye can actually cause your tubes to contract and appear blocked. From that test we could see that one of my tubes is blocked and then it was confirmed with the lapscope and some endo was found and removed. Your gynae should be able to recommend someone if he/she cannot do it themselves. I had all my tests and op done at the Parklane clinic in Joburg. Where are you? My med aid only pays when I am actually admitted to hospital so the op was paid for but not the hysteo thingy which cost R700.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Pokkel | 2005/07/22

If your gynae advises you to get a lap, then he was supposed to refer you to someone and not leave you in the dark.
Unfortunately you can not see if tubes are blocked via a scan or sonar, you have to have a procedure like a laparoscopy to check this.

Fibroids can be seen via a scan or sonar.

Maybe you should consider another gynae who are more helpful.

Reply to Pokkel
Posted by: breez | 2005/07/22

I had a lap for fibroids and endo and they couldn't say for sure if I have either without going under the Knife. I saw a fertility specialist. He did the surgery and all himself. There is supposed to be a test that is done by a radiographer where they pump dye into you. I think this only checks for blockages though. Hope this helps. If you have a lap and they find fibroids they operate at the same time so that isn't a waste of money. Its all over and done one shot. Medic aid pays for most of it.

Reply to breez