Question
Posted by: Kym | 2008/02/05

Laparoscopy and ovary drilling

I had a laparoscopy yesterday and I have no stitches on the outside to be removed. I was wondering if this is a new development to this procedure as after under going many laparoscopies in my life this has been by far the best. With the least amount of pain and discomfort. Please can you give me the name of this technique?

In addition I had my ovaries drilled yesterday. What are the benefits of this procedure and should I be aware of any complications resulting from this prodecure?

Dear Kym

Occasionally some surgeons do prefer not to insert any stitches at the surgical sites but instead use a form of glue form of adhesive glue to bond the edges of the skin. This is not a new development but has been used for some time now in highly selected cases. the ovarian drilling has been shown to confirm fertility benefits for a limited period only ie. Nine months to a year. Furthermore, it should be combined with ovulation induction to optimise results beyond one year after the procedure. The benefits may be significantly accentuated and IVF results may in fact be better beyond this time period.