Question
Posted by: Kyle | 2007/07/26

Language

Hi to all you great beautiful people, I hope everyone of you is well and keeping cosy. Expert, if I may I have a request:

I 've been visiting this forum regularly for a few years already and I know there was a huge debate/argument about the language issue but eventually it was agreed that everyone would post in English even if they were Xhosa, Zulu or Afrikaans-speaking so that we could all understand the posts and responses. Also there are visitors from other countries here who only understand English. I notice that Expert only responds in English which I appreciate but there are more and more posts in Afrikaans.

Even people who have posted before in English respond to Afrikaans posts in Afrikaans (sorry Sue ek moet jou hier uitsonder). By doing that we exclude anyone who can't understand Afrikaans so I am really asking everyone (and I think the Expert will agree) to rather post in English. And guys before you shoot me down I REALLY admire someone when I see their home language isn't English but they still manage to post in English - and always, in every case, everyone can understand them which makes the forum so much more valuable to everyone who visits here.

No offence to you Sue and Expert I hope you'll support me here, the forum is meant for everyone and the most commonly-spoken language in SA is English.

How does this sound to everyone?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi to you Kyle and thank you for raising this issue - I'm chuffed that it didn't have to come from me.

We debated the language issue in depth about two years ago and agreed - in spite of loud objections from Afrikaans-speaking people but not from Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi or Tswana-speaking gay and lesbian people - that all posts would be in English. At that time we were also reminded that our forum is visited by people from other countries who would only be able to understand English-language posts. English is by far the most commonly-understood language.

Perhaps it is time to again commit ourselves to post and respond in English where ever possible.

5
Posted by: Steve | 2007/07/27

Hi guys! Hi Deeve... Glad to hear you are better!

As for the language issue... I agree that everyone should stick to english as far as possible, but sometimes it really is just much more convenient to post on your home language. Let's keep that option open, with the undertstanding that if someone posts in afrikaans, xhosa or zulu, they might not get any response to their add. If there is a regular that understands the issue, it would be great then if they could stick to using english so the other people could pick up on the tread. I just don't want this great forum to be limiting in any way...

Regards,
Steve

Reply to Steve
Posted by: Deeve | 2007/07/27

Howzit Kyle, You have my vote here too....!
And Tiara, thanks for asking about me...I've been zapped with the flue, but feeling better now...Cheers!

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: Tiara | 2007/07/26

You're so right Kyle, thanks for posting this out and reminding us.

By the way has anyone heard from Deeve? That man is WAY too quiet.

Reply to Tiara
Posted by: Brad | 2007/07/26

Agree with and support you Kyle. This forum should be accessable to everyone in terms of language.

And hello Mr Marlboro (your names always makes me think of smoking, are you Marlboro light? lol) just forget about the spelling, my spelling sucks, it SUCKS and I don't care as long as we can understand each other. That's the main thing. Hearing and understanding, the rest doesn't matter at all.

Reply to Brad
Posted by: Marlboro | 2007/07/26

Kyle.
hope you doing great.I tottaly agree with you my friend.
Some times is just easier to express yourself in your home language. But like I said i fully agree and understand 100% with you.
So i will write on word and do a spelling check than copy my post.LOL
MWAH

Reply to Marlboro