Question
Posted by: George | 2008/01/07

Lame

Hi Doc, Hope you can help. Im 55 and develop this problem in the last few months.Im fit and not overweight however if I walk for 100 metes and more I get a lame feeling in my bum - sometimes left alternativly in the right side a- and some times both. If I stop and rest for 30 seconds Im fine to walk again 100 meters or more.
When playing golf I can walk 9 holes but when I get to holes 15 -18 my legs just packup after 30-40 meters and I have to rest more often.
Please HELP.

Hi George
Please see your doctor, it sounds like you have nerve pinching in your lower back ( maybe due to a disc prolapse) and you probably need a lower back x/ray or MR scan. Alternatively this can be caused by a trigger point in the muscle of your bum that causes irritation to the nerve.
dr Bets