Question
Posted by: w | 2004/10/05

lak of energy

Hi. Is their something I can take/eat etc for the lak of energy. Usualy hear from about 1pm I start feeling very tired etc. I then start to eat to stay awake. So it is not helping me for I am also trying to loose a bit of weight. So I presume somthing I am eating or not eating is making me feel this way.

Dear W
You may suffer from hypoglycaemia or low blood sugar. If this is the case, I would suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). She/he will work out a diet based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) and divide the food into 6 small meals a day. Eating foods with a low GI will help to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady and prevent these 'dips' which make you feel so tired. In the meanwhile click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. If you start doing regular exercise like going for brisk walks for 30 min a day this will also stabilise your blood sugar and help you to lose weight.