Question
Posted by: A Mom | 2004/02/23

lactose intolerance and constipation

Do most people who are lactose intolerant suffer from constipation alternating with loose bowels? When I eat any milk products, I am constipated for about two weeks. My stomach swells up and sticks out, and I become quite uncomfortable. Also, does lactaid work? My skin also is not good.

A Mom

Expert ImageArchive

Normally if a person is lactose intolerant, the first symptom is diarrhea soon after consuming the milk product; this is then followed by constipation. In your case it sounds as if you are rather reacting to the milk protein, called casein - This can cause constipation. You may have what is called a lactose sensitivity but not a true lactose intolerance. Lactaid would work for lactose intolerance since it helps digest the lactose sugars.
It sounds like your symptoms are more of an irritable bowel syndrome.
I am not sure what you mean by your skin not being good, but in cases where constipation is a problem or there are problems with the intestines it is common for skin break-outs, eczema and other rashes to occur. The remedy is to heal the functioning of the intestines with good nutrition, probiotics, and digestive strengthening herbs.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)