Posted by: toni | 2008/09/25

Lactose intolerance

I would like to fid out if I am Lactose Intolerant, Since the benning of the year I started eating Muesli and yoghurt for breakfast and I will get bloated and hver stomach cramps. In the past few weeks it got so bad that 30 minutes after eating yoghurt I will have diahorea and gas for the whole day. There are times when I go to the toilette more than eight times. If these are symptoms to Lactose intolerance How should I treat it? The funny thing is if I drink milk I only get gas maybe after a day or so.

Dear Toni
The best way to treat this is to avoid the food that trigger the symptoms. Most adults do not have enough of the enzyme that breaks down the lactose (milksugar) in diary products and may be lactose intolerant in various degrees. You can test this by having a Hydrogen breath test ( but it is easier and cheaper to just stop diary and see if the symptoms improve!)