Posted by: nana | 2008/10/06

lactose intolarent

Am pregnant with my second child, my first baby was lactose intolarent...does it mean this one will be too???i had asthma and there is a history of allegy in the family.

Is there a way to prevent this while pregnant?

lastly is there anything i should do when baby is born? and which milk is best for new borns?can i just start the baby on a LF formula and which one?

your help will be highly appreciated.

Dear Nana
Congratulations on your second pregnancy. The fact that your first baby was lactose intolerant, does not necessarily mean that this second child will have the same manifestation of allergy. It is possible, but this baby could have no allergies or manifest in another way. There is no way of preventing lactose intolerance in a baby during pregnancy because the lactose intolerance is caused by the body's inability to produce an enzyme called lactase which is required for the digestion of the sugar (lactose) that occurs in human and other types of milk. The inability to produce the lactase enzyme is genetically determined, so if your baby should have lactose intolerance (and I sincerely hope it does not), then this is already present and nothing you do during pregnancy will affect the condition. There are a number of lactose-free formulas available, for example “al 110" by Nestle. You can phone the Nestle Consumer Services at: 0860 09 6789 for information on any new developments in their products.
Wishing you all the best and hoping that your second baby is not lactose intolerant.

Posted by: nana | 2008/10/07

thank you so much

Reply to nana