Question
Posted by: Jan | 2007/07/24

Lactic acid

What is the best way of getting rid of lactic acid?, after doing a long ride I can still feel the affects after a day or two.

Hi Jan

It’s not lactic acid, we know that because lactic acid is gone within about 30minutes of finishing exercise, so the fatigue and tiredness, perhaps pain you feel a day later is not lactic acid. Even one hour after the race, it’s not lactic acid, it’s likely something else. I’m curious about what you feel the day or two after the ride? Is it pain, or is it just weakness and fatigue. If it’s weakness and fatigue, then option number one is to look at diet, because may well be running short on energy/glycogen and if you replace it more after your ride, you’ll recover better.

The other option is that your rides are very tough, and then fatigue a day or two after training is actually very normal. So I wouldn’t worry about it – it’s a case of just working on your fitness and developing your ability to do the long rides and recover.