Question
Posted by: student | 2007/05/03

lactate loading

hi there doc

i feel like im at a dead end! i need to do a presentation on lactate loading, but i cannot find much info on it. cold you please explain it to me and maaybe refer to me to where i can find more info on it?

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :)

I must confess I'm not sure what you mean - you can't lactate load - lactate is a metabolite that circulates in the blood and is taken up the muscles, heart and kidney and then converted into glucose almost immediately. It only lasts for about 30 minutes after you exercise, and lactate cannot be stored. So there is no such thing as lactate loading. So unless I'm misunderstanding the question, I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps you mean 'bicarbonate loading', which is where people take bicarb because they think that it buffers or absorbs the lactate? Is that the assignment?

regards
Ross