Question
Posted by: Jane | 2004/09/30

Lack of energy

It seems that I always have a lack of energy.

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week where I do strenght exercises for about an hour and cardio exercises for about 30 minutes. Over the weekends I clean my house, do some shopping or gardening.

I take a multi-vitamin every day as well as some fish liver oil capsules and dolomite. I also take an oral contraceptive.

I do try to eat sensibly, but it is difficult when I only get home at 7pm and still have to prepare a healthy meal. I also drink 8 glasses (or more) water a day.

I don't know who I should see first - a GP, a dietician or someone else. Sometimes I don't even have the energy to get through the day - I must add that my work involves my sitting at a desk, in front of a computer most of the day.

Please give me some guidance as to where I should go for help and if there any possible tests I should have done.

Thank you.

Jane, it might be that you just work to hard and play too little, but it might also be due to anaemia, thyroid problems, blood pressure problems, sugar problems, etc. The best would be to see your GP and have him make sure that there is nothing serious underlying the tiredness. Good luck.