Question
Posted by: a | 2003/03/08

lack of energy

Hi, is there anyway one can have a test done to determine whether one is lacking proteins, or specific minerals/vitamins? I find that I lack energy most of the time, and in fact can sleep for most of the day when given the opportunity, and having done that, I can still go to bed at a relatively early hour, fall asleep, and feel tired upon waking the next morning. I must admit I have never done exercise constantly in my life. I live on Complan and find that I eat generally because I have to or am hungry, but generally don't have a massive appetite. Any suggestions? I have heard one can have a hair follicle analysed, is this true?

Dear A
You can certainly consult your

5
Posted by: Diet Expert | 2003/03/10

Dear A
Please excuse the above computer glitch which happened when I tried to answer your question. You can certainly consult your doctor for tests to determine what is causing your tiredness (lack of important hormones like thyroid, etc, and vitamins and minerals). Chronic fatigue can be caused by a wide variety of factors: a) poor diet - in your case this may well apply because your appetite is poor and one cannot just live on a meal replacement like Complan, even if this is an excellent booster (click on 'Diet' and 'View old diet and food site' and read the articles on 'Balanced Diet, I-IV'); b) lack of exercise which is still the best stimulant to increase metabolism and make you feel on top of the world - try going for gentle walks in the fresh air to start off with and increase your exercise as you feel better; c) underlying physical conditions such as anaemia - ask the dr to check; d) underlying psychological problems such as depression which can cause lack of appetite and make you want to sleep all day - if you suspect that you may be depressed, then please consult a clinical psychologist (ask your dr to refer you or look them up in the phone book).
I do hope you will soon be feeling more envigourated.

Reply to Diet Expert
Posted by: a | 2003/03/08

thanks chris... will read your suggestions

Reply to a
Posted by: Done that | 2003/03/08

If you understand Afrikaans, see my advice in "Help my asb.....", otherwise let me know if I must translate.
FORGET about supplements, get all your minerals/ micro nutrients/vitamins etc from NATURAL foods, the food your body has been designed to digest for fuel/energy/health etc.
In short, EAT, FOR ALL YOUR KILOJOULES REQUIRED BY YOUR LIFESTYLE, but CUT THE FAT!!!!!
Understand the formula I use as explained. EVEN LOW FAT IS HIGH IN FAT%!!!!!
TRY this, I guarentee it will work, combine with healthy breathing and some exercise and the fat flies out the door while energy levels surge!
I HAVE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, I can now only offer advice.
chris999@ananzi.co.za

Reply to Done that
Posted by: a | 2003/03/08

Complan is a nutritional supplement which contains a balanced combination of vitamins and minerals for a healthy lifestyle, and is an excellent source of energy for sports and active people, during pregnancy and old age. (Taken straight off the tin). You mix it with milk and it comes in different flavours. (Not a "diet" drink).

Reply to a
Posted by: Done that | 2003/03/08

I do have several suggestions, but first explain Complan - is it a balanced diet consisting of 'normal foods' or a chemical concoction ie. these liquid diets?
Chris

Reply to Done that