Question
Posted by: Mia | 2003/12/02

Lack of Eltroxin weakens the immune system?

I had a Prolaktin adenome which was removed years ago. I have been through a rough time getting just the right type an amounts of hormones my body requires.

I stopped taking Eltroxin in Dec last year without discussiong it with my Docters. This year I have flu and tonsilitis every 6 weeks. I had the tonsils removed the beginning of November and since last week monday I am coughing and sneezing etc.

My thyroid count is currenly 8.5 . Is it possible that the lack of this hormone makes my system weak? I was told that the thyroid hormone is not manufactured adequately by my pituituiry gland as ths was damaged during the op to remove the adenome. Keep up the great work

Mia, if you have too little thyroid hormone, your metabolism will slow down and this might have a negative effect on your immunity. If you can tell me what exactly was measured (TSH, T4 or T3) and what the unit of measurement was, I might be able to tell you whether you need to take thyroid hormone or not. Good luck.