Posted by: Hope | 2008/06/10


Based on this post on "sexologist's" foum. What would you prescribe for a women in the first category?

Four main types of sexual dysfunction can keep a woman from enjoying a satisfying sexual relationship. They are:

A woman who is passive about sex generally has a lack of desire or libido. She not the type of woman who would actively seek sexual intercourse. This, however, does not mean that she cannot still become aroused and lubricated and even experience orgasm. Women who are stressed, depressed and are on certain medications usually fall into this category.
Women who rarely feel any sexual excitement or have vaginal lubrication are often labelled as "frigid". These women may be suffering from Female Sexual Arousal Disorder.
A lack of orgasm is not as uncommon as one might believe. This type of sexual dissatisfaction is only considered a dysfunction when a woman doesn't experience an orgasm at any time including during masturbation or sexual intercourse.
The fourth type is pain during sex. Two of the most common conditions are either dyspareunia (pelvic or vaginal pain with intercourse) or vaginismus (recurrent involuntary spasms of the perineal muscles which prevents all vaginal penetration). Although pain with sex tends to increase after menopause because of a decrease in vaginal lubrication, it can occur at any age.
Underlying physical causes of sexual dysfunction include diabetes, obesity, smoking, nerve damage or declining hormone levels. Emotional problems include depression, stress, a poor body image, past sexual abuse or an unhappy relationship. A combination of the two more often than not, play a role in a woman's sexual problems. Further causes are certain medications like anti-depressants or social factors.

What do you do if you suspect you have a sexual problem? Start by making an appointment with your gynaecologist or doctor. If you’re like most women, you might be reluctant or embarrassed to talk with your doctor. Instead, you choose to suffer in silence – perhaps needlessly. Many sexual problems have simple solutions and are easily treated. So talk to your doctor – you won’t be the first – or the last.

Read more:
Visit Health24’s Sex Zone

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

Treatment includes counslling with a sex educationist and sometimes medication

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.