Question
Posted by: dee | 2006/10/30

Lab eating .....

i have a 2 month old lab and he wants to eat my tortoises faeces. everytime i catch him in the act of grabbing it, i shout at him and he just droppes it. what should i do???

Keep him apart from the tortoise ans offer him treats when he does not eat the faeces.

4
Posted by: Rob | 2006/11/01

:) That was good. Everybody talking about krap, and you spot the legal issues :)
It is illegal of course, however permits are obtainable from Nature conservation, with certain requirements. You wouldnt be able to get a permit if you have found a tortoise crossing the road or whatever. JHB ZOO sell surplus tortoises to permit holders. Dee has a permit to keep the tortoise on her property. They are actually easily obtainable, but they are very strict on the rules regarding transporting and relocating.
Reptiles are awesome animals to keep!! yeah yeah, I know everyone is thinking but how do you cuddle a tortoise, I am thinking WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?! :)

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Buffs | 2006/10/30

sorry but isnt it illegal to keep tortoises?

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Kate | 2006/10/30

Make sure you clean up the poop on a regular basis.
Then he cannot eat it.
Sounds like silly advice but it works.
Remember dogs will eat poop if they can get to it - its up to you to remove it before this happens.
Good luck.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Acineth | 2006/10/30

The only thing you can do is make sure he doesn't have access to the tortoise feaces. Do a search on coprophagia, its been discussed a lot. Very normal dog behaviour, freaks people out.

Reply to Acineth