Question
Posted by: Carel | 2005/12/07

L5/S1 degenerate disc

What will be a permanent sulution to my lower back injury?
Will it be a cortisone injection or a fusion?
I gym at least 5 times per week with heavy weights.
My MRI scan results read as follows,

Dehydrateted and narrowed degenerated disc with a small left parpmedian protrusion which impinges on the left S1 root in the lateral recess and extends into the left L5 foramen but does not cause any compression. Right foramen intact. Mild facet arthrosis, but no spinal stenosis.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Carel

You need to be getting enough sleep or rest (lying down) every day for the dehydrated disc. Lying down allows the disc to fill with fluid again. Generally one would try more conservative forms of rehabilitation before having a cortisone injection or surgery. I suggest you see a biokineticist who can reveiw your current exercise habits and advise you on the best exercises to do to support the spine and strengthen the muscles that support the spinal discs. It is not advisable to train with heavy weights if you have disc degeneration, as the load is often too much. You would need to have very strong spinal stabililizer muscles before carrying on with heavier weights.

See a biokineticist.

1
Posted by: trevor | 2006/02/26

I recently injured my back during weigh training. My report reads as follows: "Marginale eind plaat spore teenwoordig op verskie vlakke 2) Schmorl nodules sigbaar op L2/3 en L3/4 vlakke - hier is n lumbale oorgans werwel teenwoordig, met n beeld wat dui op lumbalisasie van S1. Hier is spondilolise op die oorgangswerwel vlak op die S1 vlak gedemonstreer.
I have back pain - have trouble bending down and a pinch in my buttock. I think I have a pinched nerve and revered pain down my right leg - please advise on suitable treatment and exercises.

Reply to trevor