Question
Posted by: It is possible to lose weight??????????? | 2007/06/10

KZN

I'm currently 30 kg's overweight. Since I had my son (18 years ago) I've been struggling with my weight, and it's just climbed and climbed and climbed. Every year I've lost weight, but within 2 months I've gained and put more on (interest). Two years ago, in desperation, I visited a dietician in Kloof who charged me for one hour, but took two personal calls and ushered me out in half an hour (obvioulsy she thought there was no hope?). My second meeting was charged for half an hour, and I had a list of questions, but she was late and quickly weighed me and ushered me out in 15 minutes. So I gave up. Tried other stupid diets. Two months ago I visited my GP and begged for help. He sent me to a different dietician - she didn't return my call for 2 weeks and then I had a wonderful visit with her. ..... oh this goes on and on, but the bottom line is that I've had no positive interactions with dieticians. I'm so desperate to lose weight and I'm absoutely terrified of dying of a heart attack. I've purged once after a binge and it seems to me that this is my only hope. I'm a really healthy eater, but binging is making my weight uncontrollable. Last year I visited a psychologist, which made my binge eating blow right out of control. I have been put on huge doses of Prozac, but this didn't help at all. I don't want to die, but I can't control myself and I'm desperate for intervention. I'm going to gym but now my appetite has increased.????? I just can't get on top of this and I'm so frustrated.

Dear KZN
I am most distressed to hear that your experiences with dietitians have not been positive. I view of the fact that most diets and slimming regimens do not seem to help your condition and you evidently have a lot of weight to lose, I would recommend two things: a) Non-invasive treatment: ask your dr to prescribe Xenical for you. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. For an example of energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet'), which you can use together with the Xenical or on its own. b) Invasive treatment: Namely a gastric bypass operation. You will have to ask your gp to refer you to a surgeon in KZN who does such operations and then discuss the pros and cons of such a drastic step with the surgeon.
I sincerely hope that you do start losing weight at last.

1
Posted by: eAtkins | 2007/06/12

i think you do need psychological assistance as it seems your relationship with food is really unhealthy and perservering with a good psychologist will help you so much. i can vouch for the atkins diet for binge eaters especially because there are legal foods that you can eat as much of as you like and then you dont have to purge it because it is very very legal!!!!!!! and if you stick to the small rule of binging on the foods you are allowed eventually you wont get the feeling of needing to binge. your sugar levels stay constant on this diet and i tell you it really works. i tried everything and also go through binges where i could eat so much. the binging stopped after a two weeks on the diet. but i know that if i really want to stuff my face i can. but on the foods i am allowed. last night for supper i had the biggest t-bone steak you can imagine. with cheese and mushroom sauce (made from cream not flour) spinach (cos i love it). later in the night i had some nuts and lots of biltong - i love the fatty bits so i pigged on that and then i had some kiri cheese.
for breakfast i had an cheese omelette with coffee and cream and for lunch i half fried chicken with salad. ive been eating like this for 4 months and lost 23 kilos.
if i can do it you can do it too. there are days im not hungry and eat a little but i know i can eat lots of the allowed foods so i never feel deprived.

Reply to eAtkins