Posted by: flower | 2008/09/05

Ek is ' n student en ek sukkel om te konsentreer. Dit is asof ek nie my kan afsluit van die dinge rondom my en net leer nie. Nie net dinge rondom my nie maar ook gedagtes wat my ontstel en waaroor ek omgekrap voel. Die kleinste goedjies sal my omkrap. bv as ek woorde gehad het met iemand of as daar enige konflik plaasvind pla dit my verskriklik. En ek weet nie hoekom nie en net as gevolg daarvan kan ek glad nie konsentreer nie. Dit is ook asof my persoonlike gevoelens my hele wese oorheers.

Hoe kan ek my persoonlike gevoelens net " weg pak in ' n boks"  wanneer ek nodig het om op belangriker dinge te konsentreer. Hoe kan ek myself leer om emosioneel sterker te wees.

So its a question of focus as well as concentration. Sometimes its these other things that draw your attention to them ( like a noisy dog next door ) and sometimes your mind goe3s wandering, searching for ANYTHING else to focus on. But then you may complicate it, so that when you stray from your studies to think about the argument last night, you then argue with yourself and get cross about it, and so on. Treat all ideas not part of what you are studying as though they were flies --- just swat them away, and return to your focus. If there are recent events or problems which recurrently draw your attention, set aside a specific time to think about them ( say to yourself "NOt Now, but in 30 minutes I'll take 5 minutes to think about that" and as you suggest, picture yourself packing them in a box and closing the lid --- and if they are things that really do trouble you, see a counsellor for a few sessions to work on them more productively, and to work on the larger aims you outline well in your last sentence. .