Question
Posted by: Marian | 2004/10/20

Knees & Ankles

I struggle with my knee and ankle areas - I'm experiencing a sudden increase of overweightedness in these areas. I use to be very fit (jogging, aerobics, cycliing, swimming, etc.). I'm gradually getting back into shape. I started at the gym again and I jog in the mornings. Please advise me of any exercises for these problem areas I have at my ankles and knees.

Hi Marian

The goal is just to keep exercising to get back into shape. If you do this, you will be able to see results happening at the knees and ankles. Unfortunately, there are no specific things you can do, because you can
t "spot reduce". That is, you can't really try and reduce the fat around your knees and ankles by just doing exercises for those areas (not that there are specific exercises for those areas to begin with). This kind of exercise, using specific muscles only, actually burns fewer calories than exercising large muscles groups in dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.