Question
Posted by: Gert | 2004/01/01

Knee replacement before 41?

Due to my body's inability to break down uric acid, I have severe inflamation in all my joints. I was advised by 2 specialists that my right knee had to be replaced but advised against it due to my age (40). My left knee is not much better. The questions I have are the following:
1. How would a replacement affect my life? I run my own welding & steel construction company and can't cope with the physical side anymore.
2. How old should you be before a replacement is considered?
3. The replacements only address my knees - what about the other joints? I am on Meticorten (5mg/day), Colchicine (1mg/day) and Naprosyn (500 mg/day). I was prescribed Controloc (40 mg/day) yesterday after a g-scope diagnosed gastritis. I am worried about the long term effects of the chronic medication as the rhumatologist said that I will start on Puricos tablets in mid January.

Please advise.
Gert

Expert ImageChiroDoc

All the anti-inflammatories and your body's acidic state do not go well together. A nutritionist may be able to advise on a better diet to reduce this risk. Replacements are not normally done at an early age as the life expectancy of the prosthesis also plays a role. Depending upon the severity of the condition - pathological changes etc. - a specialist will sometimes decide on replacement at an earlier age - I would recommend a visit to a specialist physician as a starting point. Chiropractic advice and/or treatments could alleviate some of your symptoms.