Question
Posted by: Stiff as a Stick | 2004/01/21

Knee & joint problems

I have practiced yoga for two years since about 4 months ago when I could not continue the classes due to some practical issues, one of which was finding the time. Since then I could feel how my body returns to being weighed down, fatigued and my joints extremely stiff. I had unsuccessful knee surgery about 12 years ago but the yoga did wonders and I was very seldome aware of my knee.

My question: As I still do not have the time for lengthy yoga sessions, I would like to know if there are any specific poses that would relieve the pain I experience in my knee (and for joints in general). I used to practice a whole sequence of poses and postures never knowing which did the trick for my knee. Also I would like to know if this specific pose could be done on its own (and not as part of a session) and still have the same effect.

(It is also interresting that since I do not practice yoga anymore, I am much more stressed and tense - noticibly so, that my 10 year old daughter made the observation that I should start my yoga classes again, because when I did yoga regularly, I was a relaxed, easy-going person - and I have to agree!)

Regards & Thank you

Expert ImageYoga

Dear Stiff - from the mouths of babes huh? It sounds like the longer classes did wonders for your demeanor and outlook and I can't help but ask if it isn't worth making the time for a comprehensive practice - those benefits surely outweigh the time required and sometimes you have to give up 5 minutes to save an hour. By that I mean that a more relaxed, productive you that is sleeping better, is healthier and more focused - is probably going to use time better, thus getting more “value” for your day and be able to spend those few hours at yoga! If I haven't convinced you I suggest getting hold of BKS Iyengar's book - "Light on Yoga" which has a remedial section and one on suggested postures for knee ailments together with descriptions and pictures to help. Also take a look at this article on yoga and knee injuries at: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/190_1.cfm
Good luck.
Chris

1
Posted by: Stiff | 2004/01/22

Maybe I should listen to the pro & the babe and get on with it! Thanks - I'll also have a look at that website. (I know you're right, by the way!) Thanks a lot!

Reply to Stiff