Posted by: Ellen Rossouw | 2012/09/26

Knee injury (12 year old)

My 12year old injured his knee yesterday during sport. he described it as a twisting sensation... I took him to a clinic and was informed that it is probably a sprain of the ligaments and that the best treatment is rest and anti inflammatory medication However, what bothers me is that the swelling is worse and he cannot bend the knee without experiencing pain. Should I take him to my GP asap?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Yes, you should take him to your GP. The swelling can be due to a ligament injury. Your doctor will have to do special tests to evaluate the injury. In the interim, he should rest the knee, apply heat and cold compress, at least 3 to 4 times daily and continue taking the anti-inflammatory medication.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.