Question
Posted by: tendu | 2007/04/04

knee and elbow swelling, rashes

i suffer from swollen knees with pain on the outer top part of joint and stiff elbow. i have had xrays and ultrasound which showed nothing except fluid around the joint. at times i can feel lumps between the joints which cause great pain. i have had my knees aspirated several times but they fill up anyway. i also have skin rashes which came about since i started having problem with my knees 3 years ago whilst in england. i didn't get injured but i was a waitress at the time. lately my chest fills up with gas and i have to burp too often as it gets uncomfortable especially in the morning when i wake up. i have been given all sorts of anti-inflammatory meds eg. mobic, diclofenac, naproxen, ibruprofen, prednisolone and sulphazalazine. i have also sort alternative treatments(acupunture ) but to no avail. i have been able to run, let alone log for the past three years and frustration is getting the best of me. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. currently i am not taking any meds except supplements. i seem able to cope wih the pain and discomfort since returning to africa, however my problem still exists. i am a only 23 year old female. some have suggested heart problems may cause this. do you think i should request an MRI just to be sure of the cause of the fluid retention and pain?? i really want to get better and be as normal as any other 'normal' being.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Tendu
Before you start self medication and go for expensive investigations, I suggest you make an appointment with a specialist in the field of rheumatology for a good physical check-up. The doctor will also send you for the appropriate tests.
Ask you GP for a referral or the name of a local rheumatologist.