Question
Posted by: Lori | 2007/12/12

Kitty wees on my clothes

My 6 month old kitten is really misbehaving these days. We have had him since he was about a month and a half. He has been a pleasure to have as a pet. About a month ago, some friends moved in with us. They have come from Botswana, as one of their kids is being treated for leukemia. They have a 4 year old, and also a 3 week baby.

My cat is getting used to them. I have a 4 year old daughter. He plays with the kids. He is also venturing around the house again. I have noticed that he likes to be around my husband & I. When we are at home, he will follow us around.

The one very strange thing that he is doing, is weeing on my clothes. He has even made a wee on my bed. He has also made a wee on me. This happened on Sunday. Every morning he jumps up on the bed. He is usually very playful in the morning. Anyway, he sat on me & made a wee. On Saturday night, he also did something strange. After I got up off the sofa, he immediately jumped on & made a wee on it.

What is going on with my kitty? Why is he weeing on my clothes & even on me? Is he upset with me? Is there something wrong with him?

It could be stress induced given the sudden onset. I have often mentioned using Feliway Vaspourizers as they are very effective. Install one where the cat spends most of its time. Also increase the numbner of litter trays so there are plenty of clean places to go.

2
Posted by: Melbalina | 2007/12/12

Hi Lori. Your kitty is unnerved by the changes in your home and is marking his territory (if he is neutered). Cats, like all animals, are very highly sensitive to any changes and become stressed. Firstly, I would suggest taking him to the vet to rule out any bladder problems (as these are common signs of one). Should the bladder be fine and he is still eating and drinking as normal, then it is behavioural issue. He needs to be reassured about his status with you. Constantly tell him how much you love him and that things will settle down soon. Try not to show him a reaction at the urination episodes. I would suggest also consulting an Animal Behaviouralist who will give you advice on how to work with your kitty in promoting more positive behaviour.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: Mandi | 2007/12/12

Hi Lori,

Is he neutered? if not, have it done immediately.

If he is already neutered, then he might be stressed with all the changes happening around him. Give you vet a call and find out about the Feliway products. (or check on the internet and previous posts on this forum). The vapouriser works very well.

If your little boy is showing any other out of the ordinary signs, such as loss of appitite or sleeping more than usual, then you should take him to the vet.

Good luck!

Reply to Mandi