Question
Posted by: Want to love kitty | 2004/12/08

Kitty hurts

We got a 7 week old kitten 2 days ago. I am not a cat lover in fact I don't really care for them because I got clawed by one as a child but my husband loves them so I thought we could get a young one and train her. I so much want to love and hold her because she is so cute but she continually claws and bites me and it hurts and it is making me not want to hold her and literally be afraid of her. I have heard that you can remove their claws/nails. How soon can I have this done

Hi "Want to love kitty"
Kittens naturally play like this and you need to teach her not to be so rough. Use leather gloves to stroke her and toys to play with her, rather than bare hands. As soon as she scratches or bites you or the toy, remove your hand and stop playing or stroking her. You will soon learn that she has a tolerance threshold and that after a certain amount of time, she is likely to get rough. Try to stop interacting with her BEFORE this happens. I don't recommend declawing as she will not be able to climb trees or defend herself from other cats or dogs.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

6
Posted by: Dee | 2004/12/13

No need to be so nasty. I have a 3 year old cat whom I adore (I am going to get another cat in the new year). However I also felt apprehensive at the beginning as I was not used to cats but as time went on I got used to him and now miss him terribly when I go away. It is obvious that want to love kitty really does care and is trying his/her best to cope

Good Luck want to love kitty I hope it all works out for you and kitty

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Julie | 2004/12/13

Sorry but I have to agree with Howcouldyou...

Reply to Julie
Posted by: Want to love Kitty | 2004/12/13

Thank you to Garth and Paul for your responses. She is really growing on me and I am learning to cope with her clawing, I even hold here for long period

Howcould you - you are a pyschopath and I suggest you visit cybershrink as you have some SERIOUS ISSUES!!!! You are sick!

Reply to Want to love Kitty
Posted by: Howcouldyou | 2004/12/10

You are the worst pet owner I have ever heard of... Would you like me to remove your nails? How would you scratch when you needed to? Remember cats dont have fingers. Why dont we just remove your teeth at the same time, then you cant eat in exactly the same way your cat wont be able to hunt. You are truly a disgrace to animal lovers and you DO NOT deserve animals. I hope your husband comes to his senses and leaves you. If he is an animal lover he does not need to be with a person like you. I hope that one day you get your just reward and you rot in hell for making an innocent animals life hell... You dont deserve the privelage of owning animals, you want to destroy them because of your own pathetic fears... I HATE people like you and I am sure the animals do too!!!

Reply to Howcouldyou
Posted by: Paul | 2004/12/09

Do not ever ever Declaw a cat, as it needs it to move about freely, climb trees, run away from dogs etc etc. Listen a puppy dog bites you when he plays with you (nibbles your hand and their teeth are SHARP!!). When the cat plays with you it will scratch you a little but you will see as mine has, when they get older, they actually retract their nails when doing this.

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Garfield | 2004/12/08

I would not suggest declawing so early on in a relationship and I'll speak to vet about that as well.

What I will suggest is - check to see if she is clawing + biting just in a playing fashion & if it's real aggression. When they are young and gets excited while playing, they sometimes forget to be gentle - especially when you tickle (some of) them on their tummies.

My cat who is over 1 year now - enjoys any type of ball that bounces by itself (especially the table tennis or ping pong balls). Another play thing that's usefull is anything on a string that you can pull & she can run after that. Even a plain box in which she can explore is also nice - they are indeed curious by nature.

Please don't be afraid of a kitten - they are great companions and just stroking them is good on our human nerves.

Reply to Garfield