Question
Posted by: Lee | 2006/04/20

Kitten eating Big Cat Food

I have 2 cats, a 1 year old and a 15 week old kitten. I feed them HIlls dry food. My big cat gets adult food and the kitten gets kitty-pellets. He has now started refusing the kitten food and only wants the adult food. I seperate them when they eat, but he refuses the kitten food and will not eat for two days unless I give him adult food. My problem is that I cannot prevent my big cat from getting to her food so he generally has access to it as well. He does not seem to get an upset stomach from the food but I am not sure if it is harmful to his system? Can you please let me know what you think?

Kitten food is specifically formulated to provide for the needs of the growing Kitten. Therefore kitten food is the best for a kitten. If one product does not work get an alternate flavour in the same product or an alternative manufacturer's product. If you mix in a few of the kibbles from the adult food into the kitten food, this may also help the kitten to continue eating its own food.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Basher's Mom | 2006/04/21

Hi Lee
I have 8 cats ranging now from 18 months to 14 years.
The older cats were eating the then kitten's food, the middle cats were eating the older cats food and the kittens were eating the middles cat's food.
But I persevered and mixed a little of the favourite food with the recomended food for all - yes I would have to get up at 5 am to get it all sorted out correctly.
I agree with your vet as you only have 2 cats and feed them both the kitten food at least until the little one is 6 months old and then re evaluate the situation????
I have always used Royal Canin.
I also have 2 Jack Russell Puppies who find any type of cat food a bonus lol

Reply to Basher's Mom
Posted by: Lee | 2006/04/20

I don't think he is fussy, I just think he has found the taste of adult food to be nicer than his kitten food. The vet suggested I start feeding kitten food to my big cat as it would not harm her (only make her a bit fat), until the kitten is big enough to go over to adult food. Then at least I am not restricting my big cat from food and the little one gets all his nutrients. Don't know if this is the option.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Sheryl | 2006/04/20

Hi Lee

A bit of adult cat food won't harm your kitten - but for optimal
health I would try to get him to eat one of the premium kitten
foods. They are specially developed for growth and are very
palatable for a developing digestive system. The kitten food is
used up to 12 months.
Maybe trying a different brand would help - the vets usually
have samples - I have found that even fussy kittens like
the Royal Canin kitten food.

Good Luck

Reply to Sheryl