Question
Posted by: MMWalsac | 2007/04/30

Kissing HIV+ Partner

My partner has HIV+ we now need to know about kissing and the safety thereof. We do understand the sex act and what we need to do.

Dear MMwalsac
I do not know of any cases where the virus was transmitted by kissing but it is possible when one or both of you have a sore or broken mucous membrane in the mouth or gum disease that is causing bleeding. In order for a person to become infected with HIV, three things must happen:
You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood or breast milk, and
The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion, etc., and
Transmission must go directly from one person to the other very quickly . . . the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body.